No more pencils. No more books. No more…
Okay, not quite yet. But holy cow, it’s June!
It’s been a great year, full of fun events, brain building residencies, and successful fundraising. How successful you ask? Well, after some mid-year concerns, the 144 community came together for our kids in a spectacular fashion. We had a goal of raising $120,000 for next year’s PA operating budget and we have not only hit that, but surpassed it. (Click here...)
And we still have two and half weeks left to go!
I can’t begin to express my appreciation and gratitude to all of you for this accomplishment. There have been years where fundraising didn’t meet the next year’s needs. I’m so proud this isn’t one of them. As our school continues to grow (we are growing by one additional classroom next year), it becomes more expensive to program, support teachers, finance school performances, and all the other things our budget covers. Thankfully, our community is awesome and truly cares about all the 144 children, and has made sure we are set for 2016-2017.
I love happy endings. I hope you do as well. Here are a few other things that will help end the year on a happy note:
• June 11th, the PA takes over the school!
First, from 10am-3pm we will be having our Spring Cleaning Yard Sale. This is a great chance to snap up some bargains. There will be all sorts of items, both new and gently used, like women’s clothing, small appliances, books, children’s clothing, toys, baked goods, lemonade, and more! Macklemore once rapped about finding treasure in a thrift shop. Come visit the schoolyard and find your own!
As if that wasn’t enough, from 1-4pm inside the building, we will be holding our first ever Star Wars Party! Attendees will have the chance to make their own lightsabers and then use them in Jedi training. We will be screening “Lego Star Wars: Droid Tales.” There will be an Intergalactic Raffle offering the chance to win a Star Wars basket and five one-day Park Hopper tickets to Walt Disney World. We will have a Light Side/Dark Side 50/50 raffle. Most importantly, we will have fun. This is also the first event we are having with a suggested donation entrance fee (That’s what happens when we meet our goals. Yay!). We suggest $5 per attendee, to help us cover costs and continue to raise money for next year and beyond. Please note, as with all PA events, children must be accompanied by an adult. The Jedi Council awaits you!
• From now until June 24th, we taking orders for our Pathway to Knowledge. That is the path of etched bricks that lead from the sidewalk to the school’s main entrance. It’s a great way to commemorate a special teacher, a graduating student or class, or your favorite PA president. Order forms just went home but you can also access the information at our website; just follow this link: pa144.com/pathways.html.
• Field Day is coming up on June 15th. This is an event run by our Physical Education teacher, Mr. Marino, with support from the PA. He is very much in need of volunteers to man water tables for the kids. Each session, two grades each, could use 2-3 water (and maybe fruit or ices) tables positioned in-between the ten activity stations. Each table would ideally have two parents. It gets hot in the yard and it’s important we keep our kids hydrated and cool. If you can help during any of the three sessions or can help procure water, ice, and/or ices (you will be reimbursed for any expenditures), please contact me ASAP at email@example.com. You can work a water table during a session your child(ren) is not participating in so you won’t miss cheering them on. Thanks in advance!
FIELD DAY SCHEDULE
Kindergarten and 4th Grade - 9:15 to 10:45AM
2nd and 5th Grade -11:00AM to 12:30PM
1st and 3rd Grade - 12:35 to 2:00PM
• Our Schoolkidz team is working hard to get our online 2016-2017 school supplies shopping portal ready to go. Keep an eye out for more information coming soon. Then towards the end of August watch for our call out for volunteers to help move all those school supplies boxes from the auditorium to the correct classrooms. They always refuse to deliver themselves, no matter how nicely I ask.
• Interested in After School for Fall 2016? Keep an eye on our website @ AFTER SCHOOL in the coming weeks for the Fall schedule, registration, and an exciting new announcement!
• While these aren’t PA dates/events, they’re important enough to share:
June 14th - No School for Students
June 17th - Pre-K Orientation
June 21st - 5th Grade Graduation - 9:00AM
June 22nd - Pre K Moving-Up - 8:30AM
June 24th - Kindergarten Moving-Up K-201; K-315; K-411; K-300C at 8:30AM
K-217; K-215; K-205; K-219 at 10:00AM
June 28th is the last day of school for all students. Early Dismissal.
September 8th - Students return for 2016-2017 School Year
So thank you everyone for an amazing year. Enjoy your summer. Have lots of fun. I’ll see you in September when we start this all over again!
Saving some pencils for next year,