It’s really starting to feel like autumn. There have been some cool days. All of a sudden every item in the supermarket is “pumpkin” flavored. I even spied a leaf or two of a non-green color. While I’m not thrilled that summer is officially over, I am totally psyched for what October will bring. Want to get excited too? Read on for all things October.
What’s the PA up to?
• Our next PA meeting will be on Monday, October 17, from 7-9pm. This will also be our Middle School Night. The following District 28 middle schools were invited to come and present to us, as well as answer questions. As we get closer to the date I will update you on who plans to attend.
* Russel Sage JHS 190
* Stephen A. Halsey JHS 157
* Louis Armstrong IS 227
* Edward Bleeker JHS 185
* Rachel Carson IS 237
* The Robert F. Kennedy Community Middle School IS 250
* Robert A. Van Wyck JHS 217
* Young Women's Leadership School, Queens
• We are very excited to be trying out a new fundraiser this year, Restaurant Nights! Each month throughout the school year we will have a restaurant night. The designated restaurant will give a portion of the proceeds to our school. All you have to do is show up on the designated night and time at the featured restaurant and feed your family! Up first is Chipotle! On Wednesday, October 19, from 4:30-8:30 pm, stop by Chipotle on Austin Street (70-30 Austin St) and Chipotle will donate 50% of the night’s bills to our PA. Show the cashier the flyer you will receive next week, or your phone with the flyer on it, pa144.com/1617/chipotle.pdf, and we will earn money for our PA! Please feel free to share the flyers with your friends, families, and neighbors, but we ask that you do NOT distribute any flyers in or around the restaurants. (If this happens all funds earned will be forfeited and we will make nothing.)
• No tricks, all treats! What’s Halloween without the annual PA Halloween Party? We are planning all sorts of fun for Saturday, October 29th! For our Pre-K through 2nd graders, the party will run from 3-5pm. Third grade and up, the fun is from 6-8pm. Come in costume (that means you too adults!) and join us for dancing, stories, and more. Keep your eyes out for more information coming home soon in your child’s folder. Do know that we will need volunteers to set-up Friday evening and Saturday morning, to work during the party, and to clean up when the parties end. When we send it out, please answer the call. Otherwise you might just be haunted by ghosts of Halloween past…
• Put on your favorite outfit and your best smile, and say cheese; Thursday, October 20th, and Friday, October 21st, are our Picture Days. New this year? No envelopes to fill out and return! You will be able to see your proofs online and order directly from the photographer’s website. The final schedule for what day which grades will go is not set yet. You will receive notice before it’s your child’s turn to pose.
• This technically isn’t an October event, but it seemed like a good time to mention it. You might be aware that November 8th is Election Day. As this has been quite a spirited presidential campaign, I am anticipating a large voter turn-out at P.S. 144. Last year the PA made just over $900 at its Election Day Bake Sale with only a few local races on the ballot. Imagine how successful we can be this year with plenty of baked good donations and volunteers to work the table! You’ll receive a flyer as we get closer to the date. Keep an eye out for it. (And nothing has to be homemade; feel free to buy cookies and pass them off as your own!)
• Fresh out of my inbox is this offer from UrbanSitter.com:
"UrbanSitter is a website and app that helps parents find and book their community's most trusted babysitters and nannies. Here’s the list of sitters PS 144 Col. Jeromus Remsen School parents personally recommend: https://www.urbansitter.com/school/ps-144-forest-hills-ny. Sign up for free and use code VIPOFFER for a $50 credit towards your first booking, good until November 30, 2016."
What’s P.S. 144 up to?
• Tea with the Administration is a chance to sit down with a hot beverage and have a conversation with the P.S. 144 administration. All Teas start at 8:15am. The schedule is as follows:
Friday, October 7: Pre-K
Friday, October 14: Kindergarten
Friday, October 21: Grades 1 and 2
Friday, October 28: Grades 3, 4, and 5
• I’m sure your kids will be disappointed, but there is no school on Monday, October 10 (Columbus Day), and Wednesday, October 12 (Yom Kippur).
• Fifth grade families, our Guidance Counselor, Ms. Mizzi will be holding two Middle School Parent Meetings. It will be the same information at both meetings; you only need to attend one of them. You can either go on Thursday, October 27, at 7pm, or Friday, October 28, at 9:30am.
• Join us for P.S. 144’s Storybook Parade and bring your child’s favorite story to life! On Halloween, all students will parade in the schoolyard with their class and can dress as a character from a book. Please no masks or weapons. Parent paparazzi are welcome to hang out and enjoy the spectacle. The kids will come out around 8:30am.
Planning my costume already,